Monday, August 31, 2009

Picasso Casserole


They say that life imitates art.

That's bullshit.

I say it's the other way around. Besides, who are "they" anyway? Art is a reflection of life, put forth by an artist who expresses their feelings through their craft. Whether it be Kurt Cobain singing about a heart shaped box, or a child drawing finger paintings on a piece of construction paper; what is portrayed is a piece of life being shared with the rest of the world.

One of my favorite quotes in life is from Picasso. He said, "All children are artists. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up." I'll admit that the first time I ever read this quote, I took it way too literally. When most people think of Picasso, they think of painting, perhaps abstract painting or one of the many types of categorical "isms" that painters fall into (modernism, cubism, existentialism, etc). However after reading deeper into this, (and not to get all philosophical on my readers), I have come to realize that art imitating life makes everyone's time spent on this earth not just a canvas, per se, but also a song, a sculpture, or whatever you make it.

For some, theft is their art. For others, it could be the ability to sell ice to an eskimo. My point is that everyone has a gift and not everyone has the self esteem to nurture that gift. Sure, the thief might get caught someday and thrown in jail, or the salesman might happen to catch someone on a bad day who just doesn't feel like buying a new set of Cutco knives. It happens to the best of us.
We all want to throw in the towel at some point when we are at our lowest. That is when you take inventory and realize that some if us paint with a different brush. Some of us use broader strokes than others. We are all different artists. I am a different artist. I accept that and move on with my life, painting beautiful masterpieces along the way!


No comments: