Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Memorializing Americans Like Dee

Okay, so I'm a day late on this one, but I can't own a company called American Displays Co., purveyors of fine American-made trade show conference displays, and not mention something about those who made it possible for us.

Too many people in this country aren't quite sure what Memorial Day encompasses. Is it a day to remember our loved ones that are no longer with us? Yes. Is it a day to remember our fallen war heroes that served their country so valiantly that they sacrificed themselves so that we may have a better life? Yes. Is it a day to relax and be closer to the family unit? Yes. Of all the holidays that the USA boasts (and I mean the ones in which government entities are closed), Memorial Day means the most to me now.

I didn't used to think this way. In fact up until about 2000, I have to admit that July 4th was probably my favorite holiday. Smack dab in the middle of the summer...usually always hot weather...parades and barbecues. I probably thought this because it was an excuse to take off work and drink beer! Not until the Memorial Day of 2001 did this change my perspective.

It was in January of 2001 that I lost the most important man in my life, my step-father Dee Pileggi. This man taught me how to be a man through example. Most of my life, I liked to learn through trial and error, not listening, but his lessons could not be ignored. I like to refer to him as a renaissance man. A real man's man. Hunted elk every fall, and could rebuild a car engine in no time. One of my biggest regrets in life was not spending enough time with him in his shop. I was young and flighty at the time, and had other plans with my life. I can say this though: hindsight is a cruel bitch!

When you lose a parent or a spouse, that pain never dies. For some, it can eventually kill you. For example my grandparents (Dee's parents): when my grandpa died, my grandmother didn't survive the year. She succombed shortly thereafter. Some can say she died of old age, or health reasons. I know she died from a broken heart. That shows you the power of love.

And I did love Dee. Still do. He taught me what I needed to know to become a step-father. Yes, he ran a little roughshod over all of us at times, his temper flaring like a pack of hemorrhoids. But we loved him for it. I loved him for it. I now know where he was coming from, as I deal with similar situations in life. I just wish that he was around to solicite advice from today.

As we walk down the road of life and try to read the signs between the traffic, the smog and small furry dead things, we realize that memorializing our past is not dwelling. It is not unhealthy to remember and get sad. It is natural. Something that is enevitably going to happen year after year as we all age. We are going to attend more funerals, suffer more loss and memorialize more of our friends and loved ones. Thus goes the circle of life. We can't stop it.

I miss Dee...and I thank him for teaching me a posthumous lesson about what that third weekend in May is really about.

No comments: